Many of you must have noticed that recently the Democrats have been pulling the Chicken Little act saying that if the sequester goes into effect the country will basically come to a halt, we will have no military of any significance to protect us, jobs will perish by the boatload, and the poor will starve. My experience with New York City politicians sheds some light on this situation. In the 1970’s, when the city’s budget busting spendthriftery caused austerity to become a necessity, the first things to be cut were police and fire protection. Why, you may ask? Why not other non necessary things like the giant lumbering bureaucracies, for example? The only purpose of these cuts was to scare the citizens into insisting on removing the needed budget cuts and to say, “to heck with balancing the budget.” The same tactic is evident here. If the military budget gets cut, hoards of Canadians will come sweeping over the border in a murderous frenzy, and we will be helpless to stop them.
Nothing is further from the truth. I have gotten this from many sources, but the MSN Money site summarizes it most succinctly:
1. No recession is coming. They say that in a $16.4 trillion economy, the cuts are not nearly enough. After all, the cuts are only 2.4% of the whole Federal Budget.
2. The cuts are less than $85 billion. What the Democrats and many Republicans are quiet about is the economy and job killing $200 billion tax increase we are not saddled with.
3. Federal employees will feel the impact. Obama, or as someone in the comment called him, Oblabla, has expanded the Federal bureaucracy so much that Federal employment is really the only segment of the economy that is doing well.
4. Congress could give the Pentagon more flexibility. Since the cuts are across the board, allowing the Pentagon and the other agencies pick and choose where they will cut will assure that necessary programs will still function.
5. March first is not set in stone. Congress could pass a continuing resolution, as they have many times before, to extend the deadline and continue to fund the budget at current levels.
So before you build that disaster shelter and stock up on dried foods, mull this over. The gigantic Federal sector is like a cancer eating up everything in sight, like the blob from the jersey swamps. Is that what you want? And even if those evil Canadians attack us, we still have our Second Amendment Rights to fall back on, at least for the time being.